DALLAS – (Wire Service Report) – Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is changing his tune about the team’s impending quarterback controversy between rookie sensation Dak Prescott and injured veteran Tony Romo, saying he “doesn’t want to speculate.” Jones, who previously committed to Romo as his No. 1 quarterback when the 36-year-old returns from a compression fracture in his back sustained during the preseason, cited worries about chemistry in a radio interview Tuesday.
“You want to be very mindful of what you’ve got going, which right now we’ve got a lot of chemistry going,” Jones told Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. “That has got to be really recognized if you’re making a decision.”
Those comments are a nod to Prescott, who in his first season out of Mississippi State has guided the Cowboys to a 6-1 record, good for first place in the NFC East, while throwing for 1,773 yards and nine touchdowns.
Jones remains convinced that Romo will return this season, although not as soon as once thought. Romo returned to practice last week and threw with the scout team during seven-on-seven drills.
“I do think that unquestionably Tony is going to be ready to go at some point near the end of the year, and we’ll evaluate things at that time,” Jones told The Fan radio station.
Romo, a four-time Pro Bowler, is in his 13th NFL season, all with Dallas.
The Cowboys also decided to give cornerback Morris Claiborne time to heal and rehab his groin injury before making a decision on surgery, ESPN reported Tuesday.
Claiborne, 26, had four tackles in the Cowboys’ 29-23 overtime victory over the division-rival Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. He has 24 tackles, one interception returned for 27 yards and a fumble recovery in seven games this season.